Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Eat Your Peas with a Knife! Willie Eaton Sr/Jr

Capt. William Eaton, Lost at Sea

Capt. William M. Eaton was my Great Grand Uncle.  He was born in 1844 in Maine and died January 15 1890 in Tampico Mexico...at sea.

At age 45 GG Uncle William was lost at sea, one of many of my ancestors who were sea captains, and unfortunately one of several lost at sea.  I am uncertain as to how he was lost at sea, but he did lose the Schooner W. W. Hungerford while it was under his command and this is likely the ship he was on at the time of his death.






http://www.thetasteoforegon.com/2010/06/the-peas-are-coming-the-peas-are-coming/
"He had a son William, Jr that we all called Uncle Willie", my mom said. My mother told me that he "loved to eat his peas off a knife."  What!  How?

Did he learn this from his dad?  Did Willie line them all up and then lean into them, scoop them with the knife's edge, or did he swish them with his potatoes and then eat the potatoes and the pea glob off the knife?  Or perhaps he stabbed them one at a time!


Of course, he could have used honey as the old rhyme says.  

I eat my peas with honey 

I've done it all my life 

It makes my peas taste funny 

but it keeps them on my knife

More family memories at: https://catorfamilies.com/genealogy/eaton.html